At Elves, we want to ensure our learners are continuing their growth and educational development throughout their lives. Therefore, everything we do targets a learner’s success while showcasing their abilities.
Elves is a private school offering Grades 1-12 for learners ages 6 to 20. Elves is also a Designated Special Education Program (DSEP) accredited by Alberta Education.
We provide programming for over 25 learners in Grades 1-12 in Edmonton, Alberta at the following location:
Elves Adult & Youth Centre – 10419-159 Street
- 9:00 am to 2:30 pm instructional hours
Elves Grades 1-12 classrooms are for learners who:
- Parents/caregivers have consulted and coordinated support with their Resident School Board prior to admission. Tuition and transportation agreements are required.
- Are between the ages of 6 to 20.
- Have severe delays in the following developmental areas:
- Emotional or behavioural.
- Physical, cognitive, or medical.
- Vision or hearing.
Why Choose Elves?
Within Elves School, small classroom sizes are offered to our learners with high staff ratios. Additionally, classrooms are multi-aged and grouped according to abilities. The secure facility provides a large indoor area for gross motor activities and exercise, along with access to an adapted kitchen and laundry room. Additionally, a barrier-free playground and putting green within an enclosed courtyard provides a safe environment where learners can explore.
Sensory opportunities are promoted within classroom activities, while learners also utilize the large onsite Snoezelen Room to experience a soothing and stimulating environment.
Accommodations and Facilities at Elves School Program
- Small classroom sizes
- Multi-aged groupings with adapted/modified curriculum
- Large indoor indoor areas for gross motor activities and exercises, an adapted kitchen and laundry room, a Snoezelen (sensory) room, and vans for community outings.
- There are also patios adjacent to each classroom, and a wheelchair accessible playground area (also fenced).
- Adapted computers and specially-designed equipment, plus audio/visual materials are available for student use.
Typical School Day
Looking for details on how your child’s school day will take place? Check out Elves’ Grade 1-12 timetable.
What other options are available through Elves Special Needs Society?
- Outreach Program: coordinated by a certified teacher serves the educational needs of students who are unable to attend school for periods of time. Students are assigned to ‘Outreach’ on an individual basis. This program can be offered to preschool children or school-age students.
- Transitional supports to the Adult Program, community schools and so on.
Individualized Program Plan (IPP)
Each learner has an IPP created in collaboration with Elves’ staff and parents/caregivers. Goals are developed based upon each learner’s abilities and may include taking control of their environment, building self-esteem, and improving functional abilities. The IPP considers the areas of:
- Receptive and expressive communication
- Cognitive and academic abilities
- Daily living skills
- Social and emotional development
- Fine and gross motor skills
- Sensory integration
Elves School Program specializes in teaching students with complex physical needs, cognitive disabilities, Down Syndrome, Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) and Autism.
- Home Nutritional Support
- Pediatric Development Outreach Services (PDOS)
- Psychological Assessments
- Triple P Parenting Program
- Elves’ Summer Respite Program offered in July and funded by Edmonton Regional Disabilities Services (ERDS)
- Children and Adolescent Services Association (CASA)
- Feeding and Swallowing Assessment Clinics
- Glenrose Seating Clinics
- Specialized Treatment and Rehabilitation Services (STARTS – Adult Mental Health)
- Certified Teachers
- Educational Assistants
- Early Education, Special Needs, and Proactive Behavioural Consultation
- Speech and Language Pathologists and Assistants
- Occupational Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- PT/OT Assistants
- Program Support Workers
Grades 1-12 Calendar
To learn more, discuss enrollment, or to set up a tour please contact us as follows: